Gun Violence in Bent County, Colorado
The data in this report includes all deaths in Bent County classified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) with firearms as the "mechanism." It includes all intents—both homicides and suicides in Bent County. Despite much of the national focus on homicide gun deaths, roughly two-thirds of all firearm-related deaths are suicides.
How does gun violence vary by sex in Bent County, Colorado?
How do victims of gun violence differ by race in Bent County?
How does gun violence vary by intent in Bent County?
1. "Gender Disparities in Injury Mortality: Consistent, Persistent, and Larger Than You'd Think." National Center for Biotechnology Information, 2011.
2. "Homicide as a medical outcome: Racial disparity in deaths from assault in us level I and II trauma centers." The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, 2012.
About the Data
Mortality data in this story was queried from the CDC Wonder API, based on the following parameters:
• Data reported as Underlying Cause of Death, ICD-10 codes: W32-W34, X72-X74, X93-X95, Y22-Y24, Y35.0.
• Firearm homicides: X72-X74.
• Firearm suicides: X93-X95.
Data may not be available for all counties, or small population segments within a county. The CDC does not report rate data if the numerator has fewer than 20 deaths, or counts of fewer than 10 deaths.